[svlug] RedHat 7.3 large disk installation woes

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 13 15:56:08 PST 2003

on Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:32:14AM -0800, J. Paul Reed (preed at sigkill.com) wrote:

> Ok... this is gonna get interesting, but I'll try to explain:
>
> I just bought a new Western Digital 80 gig drive. I had some trouble
> getting the BIOS to even recognize the drive (boot would hang on
> detection), but now the machine boots and all seems well.

Note too that WD has an annoying and idiosyncratic jumpering
configuration:

 - Single disk master
 - Dual disk master
 - Dual disk slave

...which are mutually incompatible.  You can't boot w/ just a slave, and
the master settings differ for solo and shared channel use.  The
consequences of improper settings are also sometimes unclear.

Double-check your settings.

I've also seen a recent (past 48 hours) post to the LUGOD vox-tech list
describing what appears to be a similar WD drive problem, though the
solution hasn't been posted yet.

Peace.