[svlug] compilers [was: Exim on Red Hat 8.0]

Florin Andrei florin at sgi.com
Mon Jan 13 10:29:35 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 00:15, Dale Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 11:38:20PM -0800, William R Ward elucidated:
> >
> > It's the traditional standard Unix MTA, and it's the MTA of choice for
> > all the commercial Unix flavors.  Since I view Linux as just another
> > flavor of Unix, I don't mess with the core software.  That's also why
> > I prefer nvi over vim, and bind over any alternative.
>
> Jeez, I guess you better use the vendor supplied C compiler instead of
> gcc, too.  To be completely consistent.

Sometimes, that actually makes sense. In pretty much any benchmark
and/or real-life test i've tried, MIPSPro C/C++ with -IPA
(Inter-Procedural Analysis) turned on blew the heck out of gcc for 64
bit code.

Now, of course, take this with a grain of salt, given my
employer-inflicted bias. :-) (no, really, it's true, i started with the
opposite bias, but i changed my mind after seeing the numbers)

--
Florin Andrei

"Were any orcs or 'dark men' offered coalition positions
in King Aragorn's cabinet, at the end of the War of the Ring?
Was Mordor given a benign Marshall Plan?" - David Brin