[svlug] RedHat 7.3 large disk installation woes

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Jan 13 09:32:58 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:03:53 -0800 (PST)
J Paul Reed <preed at sigkill.com> wrote:

>> Make sure you have the proper IDE chipset code compiled in your
>> kernel.  I've seen similar behaviour when I didn't have the IDE
>> chipset fully supported (ended up having to use a very recent kernel
>> install CD -- 2.4.something which had the chipset I needed (sorry
>> forget details)).

> Ok... but I can't control which kernel RHAT uses to install; are you
> saying I need to install, and then recompile a kernel, and *then* use
> fdisk to repartition, and then my little trick will work?

I can't comment on RHAT in particular as I don't use it (don't consider
it a very usable or attractive distribution).  In my case, installing
Debian, I just went to a contributed install CD which had the
2.4.something kernel mentioned above which also happened to have the IDE
chipset supports I needed.

> ...or a bootable CD rescue disk.

Try the Linux BBC.  It is of course Debian oriented, but its a sweet
thing.

--
J C Lawrence