[svlug] RedHat 7.3 large disk installation woes

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Mon Jan 13 01:03:53 PST 2003

> Make sure you have the proper IDE chipset code compiled in your kernel.
> I've seen similar behaviour when I didn't have the IDE chipset fully
> supported (ended up having to use a very recent kernel install CD --
> 3.4.something which had the chipset I needed (sorry forget details)).

Ok... but I can't control which kernel RHAT uses to install; are you
saying I need to install, and then recompile a kernel, and *then* use
fdisk to repartition, and then my little trick will work?

This whole situation is complicated by the fact that I don't have a floppy
drive on this machine (I know, I know... sob story...), so I'd like to be
able to work on this via a running kernel (which may not work, since I'd
be modifying the partition table of a drive I'm using... didn't think of
that), or a bootable CD rescue disk.

*sigh*

Later,
Paul