[svlug] Doubts in file system.

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Mon Jan 13 00:03:42 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:14:41AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 06:14:05PM -0800, R Balaji (balaji_raman7_2000 at yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> I have to ask why you are migrating from a relatively stable RH release
> to an unproven .0 release on a multiuser box.  This is very likely more
> trouble than it's worth.

FWIW, I've been running Red Hat 8.0 in my lab since it was released. The
distribution is very stable. I've recently migrated my entire network over
to Red Hat 8.0. Admittedly, I have evolved to the point that I do a lot of
customization. But the stock distribution is stable.

Even so, there are some issues that might cause the less initiated some
serious problems. Most importantly, rpm has a few nagging bugs. There are
workarounds, but it is an important issue.

I agree with Karsten's questioning of the logic of upgrading to Red Hat 8.0
at this time. Red Hat 8.1 is due out in April. You might want to hold off
and upgrade directly to 8.1 at that time.

cheers,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer