[svlug] Doubts in file system.

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 12 19:14:41 PST 2003

on Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 06:14:05PM -0800, R Balaji (balaji_raman7_2000 at yahoo.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Iam going to install redhat linux 8.0 in my system.

Why?  More below.

> Currently I have 7.3 which occupies more space in error logs.
>
> Also I have recompiled the kernel many times and iam not comfortable
> in having that many versions of kernel.

You can delete the kernel version(s) you're not using, along with the
associated /lib/modules directories.

> There are manu users to this system and so I am backing up the entire
> home dir to a temp hard disk.

You'll want to do this.

I have to ask why you are migrating from a relatively stable RH release
to an unproven .0 release on a multiuser box.  This is very likely more
trouble than it's worth.  If you can't justify the upgrade on specific
capabilities or performance-based reasons, don't do it.

Your sysadmin skills appear to be rudimentary enough that I'd emphasis
this advice.

> Even tho I am convinced that any files in any other dir other than
> /home need not have a backup as Iam going to install a fresh copy of
> linux, iam afraid that if I would need any other files from these dir
> later when i work with 8.0.

*Any* locally modified files should be backed up.  This will likely
include /etc, /root, /home, and /usr/local, as well as spool and
modified directories under /var.

> so please advice me if i have to backup all other directories too?

In general backing up a full system to removeable or remote media is
*strongly* advised.

Peace.

   TWiki:  documentation for the GNU millennium.
     http://twiki.org/