[svlug] ad-hoc mode issues

Walter Reed wreed at hubinternet.com
Sun Jan 12 13:33:39 PST 2003

Any success stories with ad-hoc mode with wireless?

I'm using Debian Sid with 2.4.20 and a Lucent Wavelan Gold card. Card
works great with an access point, and works in Windows (on the same
machine) with another windows box in ad-hoc mode (same model card on the
other machine), just not under Linux.

I also played with downloading alternative drivers with the same lack of
success. The howto's and google searches were a little thin in regards
to the ad-hoc mode, and nothing I've tried seems to work.

One little tidbit I did garner is that the old lucent cards had two
different versions of ad-hoc mode, but these cards have the same level
of firmware and everything.

Any hints would be awesome (yeah, I know this is a little light on
details..)

BTW, is it just me or does Linux support of pcmcia stuff seem kludgy?
There seems to be Lots of little nesting drivers and obscure
configuation files.