[svlug] Filesystems for laptops

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 12 02:48:43 PST 2003

on Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 11:59:17AM +0200, Ira Abramov (lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org) wrote:
> I nstalled a new laptop with Debian Sid. asking a friend of mine which
> FS to use that will write less to the disk he told me Reiser is known to
> do all sorts of random background commits and background rearrangements
> at idle times,

True AFAIK.  I run reiser/ext3 on my laptops, and note this activity.
Then again, I'm almost always on wall current, so it's not a major
issue.

> so I opted for EXT3, however ext3 seems to have a 5 second commit
> interval and "pings" the disk every 5 seconds even if there is
> absolutely nothing to commit (running at level 1 for instance).  I
> know it's the ex3 code because it stopped once I remounted the root
> read-only at level 1.

This is tuneable, I believe.  Google may help.

> in other words - it will never let the disk spin down. Any
> recommendations to solve this with ext3 without reformating the disk
> to reiser?  would reiser even solve the problem? or is my only
> solution to give up the journal and mount it ext2?

I believe one of the other journaling filesystems -- either XFS or JFS
-- explicitly makes the laptop configuration issue a lot easier.  If you
don't mind shuffling your data around a bit, repartitioning may help.
Note too if you have multiple partitions, you're going to have to make
them all behave uniformly if you want your disk to spin down.

Peace.