[svlug] Filesystems for laptops

Ira Abramov lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org
Sun Jan 12 01:59:17 PST 2003

I nstalled a new laptop with Debian Sid. asking a friend of mine which
FS to use that will write less to the disk he told me Reiser is known to
do all sorts of random background commits and background rearrangements
at idle times, so I opted for EXT3, however ext3 seems to have a 5
second commit interval and "pings" the disk every 5 seconds even if
there is absolutely nothing to commit (running at level 1 for instance).
I know it's the ex3 code because it stopped once I remounted the root
read-only at level 1.

in other words - it will never let the disk spin down. Any
recommendations to solve this with ext3 without reformating the disk to
reiser?  would reiser even solve the problem? or is my only solution to
give up the journal and mount it ext2?

Thanks in advance,
Ira

--
Beautiful stranger
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.