[svlug] Re: A cheaper ghost

William Black wjblack at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 11 17:06:33 PST 2003

The other option is to use Partition Image for Linux
(http://partimage.org).  I've been meaning to try it,
but alas haven't yet.  It seems like a quasi-Ghost
clone (ignores unused sectors, compression, etc), but
doesn't resize partitions (yet).

--bj

--- George Georgalis <georgw at galis.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 03:38:51PM -0800, J. Paul
> Reed wrote:
>
> yep, I do that. if you don't provide bs and count,
> it'll do the whole
> partition. first defrag, then 'cat /dev/zero >
> /windowspartition/zero.txt'
> till it runs out of space and remove
> /windowspartition/zero.txt
> That'll help the compression, if you put bzip2 or
> something in the pipe.
>
> On my setup I use the network, not a cdrom:
>
> archive machine
> nc -v -n -l -p 1234 > diskimage.dd.bz2
>
> source machine
> dd if=/hda1 | bzip2 -c9 | nc -w 5 -n -v
> 192.168.80.21 1234
>
> might be a good idea to keep the partition table
> handy too. Oh, if you
> uncompress the image you can mount it (read-only
> might be good) on lo
> and just rsync the partition back in shape. (hope
> there is no typos
> here)
>
> // George
>
> --
> GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell:
> 347-451-8229
> Security Services, Web, Mail,
> mailto:george at galis.org
> Multimedia, DB, DNS and Metrics.
> http://www.galis.org/george

=====
B.J. Black <wjblack at yahoo.com>

Penguin Nation:  Stuffed Penguins, Surreal Situations
http://penguinnation.org