[svlug] A cheaper ghost

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sat Jan 11 15:38:51 PST 2003

I have a duel boot (that's not a typo) laptop, and I'm just about finished
installing Windows on it, much to my chagrin (need it for class).

I've used VMWare before, and one of the coolest features was being able to
move the virtual drive out of the way and back it up on CD-ROM so I could
have a fresh Windows install every 6 months without much work.

I was wondering if it would be possible for me backup this pristine windows
partition to a file using dd (dd if=/dev/hdaX of=/tmp/win-backup bs=?
count=?) and then store that on a CDROM or some such, and then at some
point in the future, do "dd if=/tmp/win-backup of=/dev/hdaX".

Will that work, as long as the partition doesn't move on the drive itself
and I keep everything else the same?

If so, how do I calculate the bs= and count= values?

TIA.

Later,
Paul