[svlug] hostname- in dhcp and ddns

Akbar Ahmed akbar_svlug at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 11 08:25:49 PST 2003

--- Akbar Ahmed <akbar_svlug at yahoo.com> wrote:

I found the answer to one of the 3 questions. I should
have been a bit slower with the send button.

> 1.) Should the DHCP_HOSTNAME variable in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 be set to
> a FQDN or just the hostname portion?

My guess here is that just the hostname should be used
for DHCP_HOSTNAME b/c the FQDN is set in another
variable (please see below).

> 2.) The dhcpd docs refer to a FQDN value that is
> sent from the client to the dhcp server. Where is
this
> value set?

In /etc/dhclient.conf the following lines should be
added:
send fqdn.fqnd "fqdn.example.com";
send fqdn.encoded on;
send fqdn.server-update off;

> 3.) Why does the hostname command use the HOSTNAME
> variable in /etc/sysconfig/network even when
> networking is configured to use dhcp and the
> DHCP_HOSTNAME is set to another value?

I still haven't a clue about this one. Help will be
much appreciated.

Thanks,
Akbar