[svlug] RHCE exam

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Fri Jan 10 10:33:52 PST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> At Thu, 9 Jan 2003 it looks like Richard Sharpe composed:
>
> > working with the LPI, the RHCE exam is very thorough and oriented around
> > practical experience.
> >

> In having successfully taken and passed the first two LPI tests
> a while back and yet to take any RHCE test(s) I'd suspect you
> won't find any Debian related "apt-get" command questions in the
> RHCE tests like you did/will in the LPI tests.

Of course you wont. However, where I currently work, Debian is just not
relevant, and, the RHCE exam, from what I hear, covers enough generic
Linux stuff in extreme depth, that the knowledge transfers from RH to
Debian. For example, you are given a broken (SW) Linux machine and have to
fix it. It could be LILO, it could be missing modules, it might be that
someone screwed up the last time they built a kernel.

> So, like a Solaris test, your RHCE test will in fact give you a
> RedHat cert, no different than taking a course on Toyotas will
> give you a cert to work on Toyotas.

Sure.

> >From having multiple "cuts-n-bruises" (which I wear like medals)
> from using Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD, I'd really like to see
> something that covers competency, not mastery, in all the
> forward-slash OS's.

Well, I guess it is horses for courses. I personally have no Slowaris
experience (well, none worth a damn), and all my Ultrix and DEC OSF/1
experience was really only window dressing until I started working on
Linux (and FreeBSD) where I could see the sources.

Having been involved in developing some of the LPI tests, I think I can
assess the advantages and disadvantages of each.

While I think that LPI is a good general certification test, it is closer
to the MCSE model, and thus attracts some of the same types of candidates.

RHCE, on the other hand, is tough.

Regards
-----