[svlug] hostname- in dhcp and ddns

Akbar Ahmed akbar_svlug at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 09:19:18 PST 2003

Hi,

I have a 3 part question about setting the hostname
(in RH 8.0) and how it works with dhcp and ddns:

1.) Should the DHCP_HOSTNAME variable in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 be set to a
FQDN or just the hostname portion?

2.) The dhcpd docs refer to a FQDN value that is sent
from the client to the dhcp server. Where is this
value set? I'm trying to set the ddns-client-fqdn
variable that is used by dhcpd to update the client's
PTR record in DNS.

3.) Why does the hostname command use the HOSTNAME
variable in /etc/sysconfig/network even when
networking is configured to use dhcp and the
DHCP_HOSTNAME is set to another value? My
understanding was that the values in the eth* files
could override those in the network file.

Sorry for grouping several (related) questions into
one email, but I thought it may be easier to respond
to one message instead of three.

Thanks in advance,
Akbar