[svlug] RHCE exam

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Fri Jan 10 03:17:51 PST 2003

These are from very early in the thread.  I checked the other messages
up to this point (except for skipping dozens from you-know-who) and
didn't see this point already made.

>From: Alex A. [mailto:arbitman at pacbell.net]
>I am planning to take RHCE exam RH300. But, before I do it (it is not
>cheap),I would like to know if there are any real benefits of been RHCE
>on this bad job market. [...]

>From: "Rosenbaum, Gregory" <Greg_Rosenbaum at adaptec.com>
>My $.02..  I can't possibly see a downside to having it.  When I took the
>exam to get my RHCE for 8.0 it was very much a test of competence.  Any
>employer looking to hire someone can't argue that an RHCE is a "paper"
>(worthless) certification.  My current employers would hire someone with an
>RHCE before they'd hire someone without for Linux SA work.

For anyone considering certifications, the benefits depend on your
background.  Anyone with a 4-year technical degree or equivalent work
experience wouldn't need a certification.  Though there's nothing
stopping you if you want it anyway.

But if your formal education is less than or equivalent to a 2-year degree,
then you want a hiring manager or other interviewers who reads your resume
to get any other hints and info you can honestly claim.  (Expect that
anything you put on your resume will result in interview questions.
So while you want to put positive spin on your resume, don't fudge it.
You'd only set yourself up for questions you can't answer.)

It's my belief that certifications which have a lab exam instead of just
a written exam are generally more difficult.  And worth the extra effort.
RHCE has a lab exam.  I couldn't tell for sure about LPIC.  A lab exam
means you have to learn the subject in greater depth to pass.  But it also
indicates to an employer that you had to do better than memorize to get it.

(Disclosure: This belief is mostly based on my own expectations if I was
reading your resume.  [But my employer hasn't been hiring for 2 years.]
I haven't tried getting one of these certifications since I have a
Computer Science degree.  More specific advice about which certification
to get will have to come from others here who have taken or taught them.)

So with that, you should have a picture whether an RHCE, LPIC or any
technical certification will make your particular resume look better.

Also, don't forget to list your participation and contribution to Open Source
projects on your resume.  That's applicable self-training for technical work.
It's easily verifiable online before you arrive for your first interview,
possibly helping to establish a good first impression.  Expect that you'll
need any honest advantage you can get since you'll never know who your
competition is.

Also figure it's possible an employer might do a Google search for your
name before the interview.  Unless your name is so common that they won't
find identifiable info about you, take a look and see what they'll find.
That could also be a source of questions or discussion in an interview.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes to all who are looking for work right now.