[svlug] RHCE exam

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Thu Jan 9 21:23:33 PST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, John McDonnell wrote:

> It would appear that on Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Louie did say:
>
> > I also would like to learn RHCE from very beginning to End
>
> yes, you stated as much in your earlier message.

>From what I understand of the RHCE exam, and based on my experience
working with the LPI, the RHCE exam is very thorough and oriented around
practical experience.

No book can teach you to pass that exam. You will need to get RH8.0, and
will need to install it on different hardware more that 20 times I would
say, and you will have to practice troubleshooting.

I have authored a 5-day Linux system admin course based around RedHat,
Slackware and Debian, and I was involved with LPI, and I have lots of
experience with sys admin work on RH5,6, and 7, including building a
driver disk for the Adaptec SCSI RAID series card (which meant reading the
skimpy info I could find and reverse engineering other driver disks).

I would not consider taking that exam without a serious refresher, as I
have not touched RH8.0 and have not done serious admin work on a Linux
machine (except my home machine) for the last year.

So, don't take the exam lightly. Your best investment might be to spend
the money and do the course that is coupled with the exam on the last day.

Regards
-----