[svlug] Exim on Red Hat 8.0

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Tue Jan 7 21:45:47 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 05:46:11PM -0800, Ian Kluft wrote:
> >What are the compelling arguments to switch?  If my sendmail is
> >working fine, what advantage(s) are there to converting?
>
> If everything is working fine, frankly you're in no need to hurry to switch.

Right.

> But to answer your question, here are some reasons why I prefer Exim...

Thanks for being more verbose than me, I'm trying to catch up with all
my mail

> * Before Sendmail had "milters" (mail filters), Exim allowed embedded Perl.
>   Marc Merlin used this feature to embed the perl-based SpamAssassin in
>   Exim with his SA-Exim package.)  However, Perl is not required if you
>   wish to optimize for performance - Exim's other features remain.

Mmmh, I think you are talking about local_scan, it's an exim 4 (only)
feature, and it's not really related to perl, although spamassassin is
of course written in perl.

> I could go on.  That's off the top of my head.

That's already a pretty good list, thanks for giving details

Marc