[svlug] Exim on Red Hat 8.0

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 7 20:59:57 PST 2003

on Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 06:01:07PM -0800, Florin Andrei (florin at sgi.com) wrote:

> > What are the compelling arguments to switch?  If my sendmail is
> > working fine, what advantage(s) are there to converting?
>
> Different groups prefer different MTAs. Other groups prefer Postfix,
> others Qmail. This group likes Exim; that's why you'll see strong
> advocacy for Exim here.

Another possible explanation is that exim is the default MTA offered
with Debian, which is itself fairly popular around SVLUG.    This is of
course somewhat chicken-and-egg:  exim is popular because it's offered
on Debian, but it's the Debian default because the conifguration and
maintenance are sane.

Other relative merits:

  - It's FSF Free Software / OSI Open Source Certified (as opposed to
    qmail).

  - As noted, it's got a better security reputation (noting that
    Sendmail's been pretty good since the mid/late 90s) and
    configurability than Sendmail.

  - There are many useful plugins and modules you can add to exim.  It
    offers a great deal of flexibility, most of which can be added
    fairly painlessly (anyone who's tried gathering, building, patching,
    installing, and configuring qmail add-ons can appreciate this).

  - It's not the fastest, safest, most configureable, what have you,
    MTA.  However, it *does* balance a bunch of competing interests
    pretty well.

Compare it to postfix and courier as other midweight alternatives.
Marc's got a good MTA list which may or may not be an LJ article by now.

Peace.