[svlug] Exim on Red Hat 8.0

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Tue Jan 7 12:15:16 PST 2003

Hi folks,

Well, I've expanded my horizons by replacing sendmail with exim-4.12 on a
Red Hat 8.0 server, providing support for an SMTP mailhub.

Even though exim does not appear to be prepackaged in RPM form, it was
rather painless and straight forward to complete the process. Exim did build
without any problems. And it has a Sendmail compatible commandline, enabling
one to simply redirect calls to sendmail with a link to the exim
executable. Neat.

As for configuring exim, it does appear to be very well documented. So I
expect this to be a positive long term experience for me. I had it running
in a few hours. Not bad when you consider that the official doc describing
how to configure and operate exim is 19257 lines of _concisely_ worded
reference material. The manual is very well written--something that is often
lacking in the open source world...

I didn't have any major complaints with Sendmail. Sendmail has run well for
me. I just wanted to try out exim. My initial impressions are quite
positive. I hear the source code is well written--so I look forward to
looking under the hood...

cheers,
Karen
--