[svlug] syslog() gets blocked?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Jan 6 10:29:47 PST 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:22:46 +0200
Ira Abramov <lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org> wrote:

> while trying to boot two machines at the same time I noticed one boots
> and one doesn't. further investigation showed that after issuing one
> of the an IP address, the DHCP server tries to record that fact in
> syslog and gets blocked for about 35 seconds before it is freed to
> serve the next machine.

I've seen this, not at the syslogd level but at the syslog(3) level (ie
the syslog server is still responsive, its the client entry point which
is not.  I've yet to conclusively debug this, but it has had all the
flavours of a gethostbyname() (or similar) timeout to me.

ObNote: Check which version of syslogd you're using.  syslog-ng is strongly
recommended, especially for log-hosts.

--
J C Lawrence