[svlug] EVMS discontinued, LVM2 rules?

Muli Ben-Yehuda mulix at mulix.org
Sun Jan 5 04:32:41 PST 2003

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:15:51PM +0200, Ira Abramov wrote:
> http://news.com.com/2100-1001-979142.html?tag=fd_top
>
> ouch. I thought EVMS was going to kick LVM's behind. other than
> clustering it doesn't look like LVM2 matches other important EVMS
> features that already exist. Why is really IBM giving up the fight so
> easely? will the project be picked up and continue development? Why is
> Alan Cox supporting this idea instead of encouraging competition?

Ira,

http://lwn.net/Articles/14215/ for a better (less sensational) account
of the happenings.

> Important bit of info from the article for those not reading
> kernel-traffic: the 2.5 branch has entered feature freeze. does this
> mean it's stable enough for home use, and will it give me any
> benefits?

Stable enough, yes, but obviously YMMV. Also, avoid using modules if
you can. As for what's new in 2.5, this document from Dave Jones may
be of interest: http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda

"The speed of light really is too slow nowdays." -- Alan Cox