[svlug] unix work - blatant shameless self promotion

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Fri Jan 3 21:13:14 PST 2003

>From: "Steven L. Fountain" <slf at dreamscape.org>
>how many, if any, job offers actually end up here if routed through
>officers at svlug.org ? i have been waiting for opportunities of this sort.
>that's almost an elitist first-right taxation. [...]

You're misinterpreting the purpose of the review.  I'll explain...

Although it's been some years since I've been an officer of SVLUG,
I remember when the policy was made.  It was to ensure that job postings
sent here are actually related to Linux and in or near Silicon Valley.
All the details are at
   http://www.svlug.org/policies/job-policy.shtml

Experience learned the hard way is that many (not all) recruiters will
send stuff to any forum they can find whether it's relevant or not.
Some recruiters blew it for all the others by abusing this forum.  After
enough abuses occurred, the review policy was implemented.  During the
height of the economic boom, there was even a period where job postings
were not accepted at all.

Whether the economy is up or down, we should all want any job offers on
this list to be relevant to the topics for which people subscribe to the
SVLUG list.  That means Linux-related and local to Silicon Valley.

I have no doubt we can trust SVLUG's officers to forward *all* relevant
offers to the list that are sent to them for review.  Unfortunately, what
you've seen is likely all there's been lately.  It shouldn't be a surprise -
we know what the economy is like out there.  So don't blame the officers
for the lack of job postings.