[svlug] Hype or threading?

Florin Andrei florin at sgi.com
Thu Jan 2 11:24:03 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 23:37, Ira Abramov wrote:

> we got a dual Xeon machine with Hyperthreading. from the little info I
> could find here and there it seems that only 2.5 kernel schedulers
> support it, whereas our software must run on a vendor-certified SuSE
> 2.4.18 kernel. what are my options, other than trying to fiddle with the
> BIOS or something into disabling the secondary core on each chip so
> linux sees only two CPUs rather than 4?

According to an interview with Robert Love (can't find the URL right
now), even hyperthreading non-aware kernels should do a good job on
hyperthreading systems.

If i were you :-) i'd run a few tests first and compare the results.

Theory is good. Practice is better. ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up
the mountainside, far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from
him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells." - Mike Oldfield