[svlug] Error 28 - kernel can not fit in memory

Florin Andrei florin at sgi.com
Thu Jan 2 11:12:39 PST 2003

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 21:09, Reg Charney wrote:
> I have installed SuSE 8.1 on all my machines. One machine, a dual
> Celeron 466 with 256MB RAM and two IDE disks, gives me the following
> error message when I try to boot it using GRUB. It used to load fine.
> Kernel (HD1,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 epic vga=791
> [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x11d603]
> Error 28: Selected Item can not fit into memory

Same thing happened to me after i upgraded the BIOS of my MSI
motherboard (NVidia NForce chipset) to the latest revision. Grub simply
refused to boot up Linux (same error) even though it continued to boot
up Windows just fine.
The Grub mailing list told me this is a known bug and suggested an
upgrade to the latest CVS version. Aparently there is no "stable" Grub
release that contains the bugfix.
Instead, i preferred to revert back to LILO (i'm using Red Hat 8.0 and
both bootloaders are included in the distribution, Grub being the
default). Now my system boots up fine.

--
Florin Andrei

"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up
the mountainside, far above the clouds, and nothing was ever heard from
him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells." - Mike Oldfield