[svlug] using apt-get for realplayer...

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 21 10:42:17 PST 2003

on Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:09:58AM -0800, Mike Castle (dalgoda at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 12:53:18AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 12:55:34PM -0800, Mike Castle (dalgoda at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> > > Point I should mention is I'm stuck a RH 7.3 system here at work.
> >
> > Just between the two of us, that's part of the problem.
>
> I agree.  But it is work.  Apparently they switched from Debian to RedHat
> shortly before I started here.  And I haven't been able to give any good
> arguments for switching back  (on my home machines I don't use
> distributions, as I've been rolling my own since 1994).

Interesting.  Without pleading the case, it would be useful to know what
th rationale for the Debian => RH migration was.

Note too that it's possible to support multiple distributions via
various means -- chroot environments, UML, etc.  This may be useful even
just as a debugging aid in the current case.

<strace output elided>

> > Track down those libs.
>
> Well, you cut out the lines that listed those libs:

I was pointing out the error messages.  I'll distribute clue, but don't
provide unlimited consults without compensation.

<...>

> So, it did find the files in /usr/lib/RealPlayer8/Plugins, and loaded them
> at some point.  And then goes to look for them again later, only this time
> preprending /usr/lib/ and /lib/ to them.
>
> I did symlink /usr in /usr/lib so that it found those files again, but it
> still crashed.

<...>

> So it opens it once, closes it, looks for it again else where, then boom.

Again, without specific experience on my own part, I'd start looking at
ld.so.conf and library paths.  It's possible that this merely needs
updating.

Peace.

   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act:
     Feinstein's answer to Enron envy.
       http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html