[svlug] Setting up shared printers.
paulz at ieee.org
Sun Feb 9 21:42:39 PST 2003
I have been experimenting with setting up Linux at my work. The one
thing I am having trouble with is printing through the windows print
First I tried Mandrake 8.1. The printDrake dialog boxes seemed to work
fine, but nothings comes out the printer. Here are some specifics:
* In PrintDrake for share, I enter //printers/HP5si. If I come back
later, the share box is just HP5si, but the server name is now printers.
* In PrintDrake, I also tried entering the IP address and the server
name. Later the IP address is blank.
* lpq says "Printer ready and printing" and then shows queue of jobs I
have attempted to print. Meanwhile the printer is idle.
* /etc/printcaps is either totally blank, or contains just the name of
* `ps -ef | grep lpd` does NOT show the printer daemon.
Next I tried S.U.S.E. 7.2 Similiar results.
Later our IT guy lent me Red Hat 8.0. Using printtool and the same
answers as I tried for the other distros, the printer works!
* Printtool for share, I enter //printers/HP5si This value is still
So the problem is not the hardware or the network, but something subtle
with Mandrake and S.U.S.E. What am I missing in the install?
More information about the svlug