[svlug] Re: Linux on Opteron (kevin@ank.com)

kevin@ank.com kevin at ank.com
Fri Aug 29 12:39:52 PDT 2003

Hi Roland,

Are you already using an Opteron based system then?  How is it working
for you?

Turbo and SuSE both claim that x86-32 code will still run correctly
under 64-bit Linux, but I suspect they mean that you can still load
the 32 bit libraries against the 64-bit kernel.  What is needed are
shunt libraries that will promote int's on the stack from 32-bit to
64-bit and then call the 64-bit routine.  Without that there will be
memory contention between the 64 and 32 bit libraries, and several
libraries I suspect won't be able to load simultaneously in 32 and 64
bit versions -- kernel modules for example, or apache modules -- any
kind of plug-in really.

At least that was what the discussion on the x86-64 mailing list
implied the two vendors were doing.

Anyway, Turbo has Opteron Linux for $69[1] unless there is something
wrong with that distribution.

Cheers,
-kls

[1] http://www.soninc.com/turbolinux-amd64.cfm