[svlug] Secure distros + HTTP proxies?

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:26:39 PDT 2003

Folks,

My weekend project will be to rebuild a webcam server that's been
riddled with IRC servers and other hacks on multiple occasions.
I'm considering arranging things so that everything is mounted
read-only except /var and /etc (/etc gets symlinked to var/etc so
that it's r/w when it's out of single user mode).  Before I reinvent
the wheel, are there any distros that come set up with this approach?

Also, does anyone know of some proxy freeware that would present a
magic URL that grabbed images from the webcam in private IP space?
Caching with tunable expirations (e.g., 1 second) would be nice,
too, since the box is 333 MHz K6 which sometimes gets hammered.

Thanks,
Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.