[svlug] UTF-8 (was Acrobat 5)

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Fri Aug 29 05:10:13 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 05:46:01AM -0600, Karl Larsen said:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Bhavesh Patel wrote:
>
> > Check the LANG variable in /etc/sysconfig/i18n :
> > $ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> > # LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> > LANG="en_US"
>
> 	As root using joe I changed i18n to read LANG="en_US" and after
> doing the same to my login it works fine. Thanks Bhavesh for your
> insight on where to find the proper sysconfig file.

I have noticed that the language setting of en_US.UTF-8 seems to cause
other problems such as running man when sshed into a machine with this
setting.

I have been changing it back to plain en_US for a while now... I
normally use debian but one of my clients wanted RedHat.

Any comments on advantages of UTF-8 any why anyone would want to use it?