[svlug] winxp - samba/cups

Case Jones philipj at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Aug 26 22:54:57 PDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:49:48 -0700 (PDT)
Richard Sharpe <rsharpe at richardsharpe.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, wing newton wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Need help in WinXP client to Samba/cups server
> > interface.
> >
> > Before I updated the WinXP (via Internet using windows
> > update), I had no problem in printing using the
> > samba/cups server from both WinXP and NT clients. I
> > still don't have any problem with the NT client but
> > all the WinXP clients (2 laptops) do not work any
> > more.
> > Any idea what Microsoft has done to WinXP ?
>
> Which version of Samba? Does it only affect printing?
>
> Do you have a network trace?
>
> You might be better off posting on Samba-technical at samba.org as there are
> people there who deal with printing all the time.

Hi,

I recently troubleshot a similar issue, and the problem was
that Windows XP was sending the user's name rather than the username.
The difference is that where Windows 2000 would send "lsmith" as the
username, Windows XP would send "laura smith".  The solution was to
create more user accounts to accommodate this.  The best debugging
tools for debugging WinXP issues with Samba were the log files
in /var/log/samba/.

Hope that helps,

Case Jones
PHP Development / Network Administration in Vancouver, British Columbia