[svlug] Open Source Criticism Questions

Sanatan Rai sanat at stanford.edu
Sat Aug 23 10:58:13 PDT 2003

: > Think of it as shipping and handling not *of* the support contract, but
: > *in connection with* the support contract, the performance of which
:
: Well, in that respect, yes - the S&H might include materials and such;
: tangible products.  That was my main point - S&H on (essentially)
: intangibles.

	Now I am quite confused. What do shipping and handling have to
do with OSS? Is this what you are saying:

`In service contracts between two parties, there are often clauses
dealing with shipping and handling that are taken care of by a third
party. In those contracts the second party pushes its own liability onto
the shipping and handling people.  Likerwise, a commercial distributor
of OSS software should push the liability on to the OS developers.'

	Clarify please.

--Sanatan

Sanatan Rai,                      | EMail: sanat at stanford.edu
Dept. of Management Sc. & Engg.   | Home: 143D Escondido Village,
Stanford University,              |       Stanford, Ca 94305.
Stanford, Ca 94305.               | 'phone: (650) 498 1655 (R)