[svlug] Open Source Criticism Questions

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Fri Aug 22 11:19:06 PDT 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Joe Buck wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 03:35:21PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > Right, this is the point I made yesterday, and there seems to be a
> > fundamental confusion here that open source softare, is/are, ipso facto,
> > products.
>
> In some cases, open source software might well BE a product: if you pay
> for it (or rather, if you pay for support for it).  In such cases, you can
> and should demand satisfaction from the vendor.

Absolutely correct, but the point that I am making is that I, as a
contributor to open source software, am not responsible for any defects in
the same way that a vendor would and should be.

I contribute to Ethereal a lot. Red Hat packages and offers it as part of
its product, RedHat Linux. Should you encounter a problem with Ethereal,
RedHat are the people you should demand support from, but you are welcome
to drop a line to us over on ethereal-dev or where ever as well. If it is
a problem that bothers us as well, we will probably fix it immediately in
the source. If we are having a good day, we might fix it as well, but
don't expect us to package the new source into an RPM for you etc.

So, my statement is please distinguish between software of any sort and
products.

Regards
-----