[svlug] Re: Open Source Criticism Questions

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Thu Aug 21 15:46:19 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:05, Daniel Howard wrote:
> Is this fair?  VMWare seems like a pretty good product
> to me.  Partition Magic seems pretty good.  Adobe
> Acrobat.  Dreamweaver.  SoftICE.  Purify.

[snip]
> But these products
> are very pleasant to use and have great features (for
> me).

The exact same can be said of Apache, Gnome 2, Evolution, Mozilla in my
case.  These products are exactly what I need to do what I need to get
done.  If Outlook was better for my needs, I would use it.  Same with
Internet Explorer.

In any environment, you need to use the right too for the right job.
Nothing new here.

> Most sub-$1000 commercial software, even if I haven't
> used it, I would recommend that people check out.  If
> they didn't have time for major research, I'd tell
> them to try it for a few days and then purchase and
> commit to it.
>
> Now, the tricky part.  In the past, if they didn't
> have time for major research, I'd recommend people to
> check out open source software, even if I haven't used
> it, for a few days and then commit to it.  Now, I'm
> considering recommending that people check out open
> source software for several weeks or a month and then
> commit to it.  That's all.

Regardless of whether a product is open source, commercial, public
domain, etc, you would need to test it to see if that is what you want.
I'm personally looking for a good web-based calendar for a project.  I
have been looking for demos online so I can see what features they have
and if it works for me.

As far as the length of testing needed, you need to put a particular
software package through the testing that goes on in your environment.
It doesn't matter if it takes you a day or a month, but you need to test
out all the features of a given package.

Again, I don't think this is anything new.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
http://linuxwebguy.com