[svlug] Re: Open Source Criticism Questions

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Thu Aug 21 11:07:33 PDT 2003

Joe Buck wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 06:26:10PM -0700, Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
>
>>On a value-for-price basis, since the price is zero, if it has any value
>>at all, its a good deal.  It might not be *as* good a deal as some other
>>solution, or as good a deal as you'd like, but it really can't be a
>>*bad* deal.
>

> Strictly speaking, this is only correct if you value your time at zero.
> There are world-class open source projects, and there are open source
> projects that are too immature to use.  Someone who mistakenly tries one
> of the latter might find the resulting damage a *bad* deal.  For this reason,
> I think it's perfectly appropriate to write articles that give people
> an accurate picture when a highly touted open source program does not
> measure up.

Measure up to *what*?

I don't really agree that there are open source packages that are "too
immature to use".  They might be too immature for a particular user to
use, but not others.  For example, users interested in contributing to
development might find an immature package just great.

Certainly it is fair to give an opinion that a package is not useful for
some or all non-technical end users.  But to simply pan it is
innappropriate.