[svlug] Re: Open Source Criticism Questions

Steve Hindle steve at itsage.com
Thu Aug 21 10:22:54 PDT 2003

Personally, I think you should have asked your original question to begin
with - If your talking about using Open Source for something other then
'fun' (ie say you want to run a server...) then you should definately
subject it to the same criteria you use for the propreitary software.

for instance, I 'play' with a lot of OSS, just to see what it can do.  But
when I have a 'problem' to solve - I pick packages based on a totally
different criteria.  For me, stability and 'support' are usually more
important then 'feature set' - so I look for projects with active,
responsive developer groups.  While OSS developers don't 'owe' me anything,
some groups are definately more responsive then others - and that makes up
for a multitude of sins with me.

Steve

--On Thursday, August 21, 2003 10:06 AM -0700 Daniel Howard