[svlug] Re: Open Source Criticism Questions

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Aug 21 01:35:15 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:46:59PM -0700, Sanatan Rai wrote:

> 	As far as commercial software is concerned, there is this big
> component in its production and promotion that comes from `marketing'.
> No one `markets' Open Source software.

Actually, I can think of a fews of examples, each different:

  * IBM touting Linux in some of their TV commercials and elsewhere

  * OpenOffice.org has volunteers who help market the project.
    [ http://marketing.openoffice.org/ ]

    Paul Miller, who comes to LUGOD and Roseville LUG meetings out here
    near Sacramento is the local 'OpenOffice.org representative.'
    He's not a developer, and not too technical, but makes appearances
    whenever he can to demonstrate, talk about, and give out copies of
    OpenOffice.org.  (He's helped at LUGOD's booth at the PC Super Show
    and Expo, Writers in the Workplace conference, and
    Government Technology Conference.)

  * I personally 'market' Tux Paint whenever and wherever I can.
    (Right now I'm downloading copies of it and placing them on a
    little 32MB USB keychain 'drive' ;^) )

    This has included putting flyers out around town (Davis, Calif.),
    doing demonstrations of Tux Paint at various user groups
    (Linux-, PC- and Mac groups, alike), and posting release notices
    to various websites, mailing lists and newsgroups.

-bill!

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick