[svlug] Re: Open Source Criticism Questions

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Wed Aug 20 17:38:02 PDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Daniel Howard wrote:

> > Is that really a free ride?  On a value-for-price
> > basis, it is impossible for open source software to
> > be a bad deal.  Not so for most Microsoft products,
> > which can't even be returned for a refund if you use
> > it for a while and decide you don't like it.
>
> A reasonable argument, I think.  I disagree but don't
> think that it is worth arguing over.

Actually, I disagree, and do think it is worth arguing over.

Take Samba, for example.

It is a great piece of software, but it ought to be clear to people that
it is not in the same ease of use category that the products a lot of
people use it to replace.

However, given that lots of people do use it to replace various versions
of Windows, and that a number of NAS companies use it, as does SCO (plan
to ship Samba 3), and I see more and more emails about attempts to migrate
from Windows to UNIX with Samba, there must be something to it.

But, since you need more skills to set it up than what a lot of Windows
requires, there can be a comparison made there, and several people on the
Samba team agonize over making it easier to use OOTB.

Regards
-----