[svlug] Integrated Linux Virus Scanners

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Tue Aug 19 14:47:46 PDT 2003

Not exactly what you asked, but I use AntiVir on my Linux
workstation.  For individual, non-commercial use it is available
free of charge (for Linux, FreeBSD, and MS-Windows).  The virus
definition file, antivir.vdf, is kept nicely up to date; whenever
I receive a virus by e-mail, the program can always identify it
(after downloading the latest vdf file, if necessary).

  http://www.hbedv.com/

As to using procmail to delete all attachments from all e-mails,
I would find this unacceptable, since many forwarded messaes,
articles, documents, images, etc., are legitimately sent as
attachments.

However, MS-Windows binary executables, which are the only type
of virus I've ever received (I only get a few per week), can
easily be distinguished from other attachments, since (after
base64 decoding) they all begin with the two ASCII bytes "MZ"
(the signature of an MS-DOS/Windows .exe file).  Global deletion
of attachments with that signature would be entirely acceptable,
and they could easily be identified by calling "mimencode -u"
to decode them (unless procmail does this already), and "head -c 2"
to isolate the first two bytes.  It might be faster to use another
call to "head" initially to select the first 20 bytes or so of
the encoded attachment to feed to mimencode.

Other formats for MS viruses (e.g., MS Visual Basic ?) might also
be identifiable by similar means.

  Mark