[svlug] Integrated Linux Virus Scanners

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Tue Aug 19 09:24:44 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:26:31AM -0400, William R. Lorenz said:
> I understand there's also the option of using procmail to strip out
> attachments on a global basis using an /etc/procmailrc or similar; in fact
> I remember implementing this for someone a while ago when I was doing the
> consulting thing.  It's been a while, but I might revisit that, also.

Google for John Hardin procmail security

Even if you do use a virus scanner, something like the above is a very
good additional layer of security. It actually catches most garbage
before ever getting to any desktop anti-virus solution. Check the
feature list, but it has several other nifty features too besides
attachment blocking.