[svlug] Integrated Linux Virus Scanners

William R. Lorenz wrl at express.org
Tue Aug 19 07:26:31 PDT 2003

I'm sure this topic has been hashed out in the past, but I'd like to
revisit it once again and poll everyone as to any integrated virus
scanners they might be using on their Linux/UNIX-based mail servers.

I know that Sendmail, Exim, and Postfix can all be integrated with
on-the-fly scanning software; however, I believe that most of the virus
definition/signature databases out there are only offered for a fee.  Is
that the case from what others have found, or is there a free virus
definition database available out there somewhere?  What engine and/or
definition database have others found to work well in the past?

I understand there's also the option of using procmail to strip out
attachments on a global basis using an /etc/procmailrc or similar; in fact
I remember implementing this for someone a while ago when I was doing the
consulting thing.  It's been a while, but I might revisit that, also.

__ __ ___ _| | William R. Lorenz <wrl at express.org>
\ V  V / '_| | http://www.clevelandlug.net/ ; "Every revolution was
 \./\./|_| |_| first a thought in one man's mind." - Ralph Waldo Emerson