[svlug] select/poll and EOF

M. Drew Streib dtype at dtype.org
Thu Aug 14 23:37:37 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:03:07PM -0700, Steve Hindle wrote:
> Not sure about this on Linux - but there is an async I/O option in most
> unices.  Not sure about EOF semantics. You 'register' a callback function
> that is called when data becomes available.

There is some sort of sigaction() call for sigio in Linux, which
may take care of what I need, but it would require quite a bit of
rewrite.

I was hoping for something in the select() or poll() calls, but
as per a previous part of this thread, I think that neither of them
were designed with files in mind. I agree with Mr. Hess in that
they are somewhat broken for file IO. Ohwell...

Thanks for the response though. If one day I decide to rewrite the
whole I/O part, I guess asyncio may be the way to go, but one
would have hoped that a simpler way would be possible. :/

thanks again.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype at dtype.org>