[svlug] select/poll and EOF

M. Drew Streib dtype at dtype.org
Thu Aug 14 22:50:35 PDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:44:14PM -0700, Scott Hess wrote:
> Well, polling shouldn't be _too_ horrible, performance-wise.  You're
> looking at a tight loop of usleep/stat calls, which should be pretty low
> overhead, so long as you're only doing it like 8 or 16 times per second
> (fast enough for a human, but slow by computer standards).

Thanks. I think that I may just have to rely on the difference between
human-perceived latency and computer-perceived latency. A poll 20 times
per second may seem messy, but it won't wreck my machine, and humans
probably won't see the difference, especially on network connections
that have latency of their own.

I do appreciate the help. I was hoping for an elegant solution, but as
I feared, select() may just not be a good solution for files at all...

Thanks again. :) Do take a look at telnet://nethack.alt.org sometime.
It is pretty neat.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype at dtype.org>