[svlug] Distributing OpenOffice to schools

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Aug 13 12:43:02 PDT 2003

Hi Lincoln, I recall the Las Cruces school system which has 9
elementery, 8 middle and 4 high schools in NM spent near $100,000.00 for
enough Microsoft Office packages for the offices and others. As I recall
there was Federal dollars to pay this.

	I use Openoffice on my Linux and got the windows version and put it on
my wife's windows XP. There was a minor issue with how it loaded but I
forget what it is. It works fine and in the absence of any Microsoft
Office it is called by other applications.

	So please keep us posted and I will be glad to to a demo of
installation and use at a School Board meeting when the self loading
version becomes available. I will do this just to save us money. I could
also show them Linux....