[svlug] Zaurus and routing

Nick Austin nick at digitalpipe.net
Tue Aug 12 22:56:00 PDT 2003

Perhaps you need a source NAT on your desktop so that the packets can get
back?

If you do a tcpdump on your desktop with a 'tcpdump -n -i any port 80'
then try to 'telnet 216.239.57.99 80' from your Zaurus, you should see the
SYN go out to your gateway, but no SYN+ACK back.

If you try adding something like

'iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -i ppp0 -o eth0 -j SNAT --to
192.168.168.1'

to your iptables script on your desktop, it just might work....

Good Luck!

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Neil Kittipalo wrote:

> I've been given a Zaurus SL-5500. At the moment I only have the serial
> cable - no cradle & USB.
>
> I want to be able to try it out on the internet. I can now make a ppp
> link over the serial link to my desktop and can ssh etc to the desktop.
> I am so far unable to get out through my gateway.
>
> The gateway and desktop are connected by a LAN, my internet is via a
> modem. I know my routing must be wrong but after 2 days I am getting
> nowhere!

<.. snip ..>

- --
Nick Austin