[svlug] Sendmail/Postfix Problem

Karl Larsen k5di at msn.com
Sun Aug 10 16:10:26 PDT 2003

	I read it all three times and got to this point...

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Bill Selmeier wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> [snipped]
> >
> > 	The second has to do with AOL.COM. For some reason their spam
> > filters think my messages are spam and destroy them. If you look at the
> > whole message I send out it is a little odd. My messages are handled by
> > bucket.dog, localhost, and others before it gets out to the Internet.
> > This seems to confuse AOL. Does anyone know how to fix this?
> >
> Yes, on May 31st 4:30pm EDT, AOL introduced an additional (in their mind)
> protection against SPAM.  AOL presumes that any MTA whose reverse DNS
> indicates it is on DSL or a cable modem, is not a professional operation
> and a likely source of spam.  They should have provided an area code 703
> number to call for information.  My guess is that your sendmail is the MTA
> of record and the reverse DNS shows something with adsl, dsl, attbi or
> other cable related.  The solution is to take control of your reverse DNS
> and tie it to a domain at your site.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	This I do not quite understand. How do I learn what my reverse
DNS is called? I do have an ip number but it's not static, it changes
daily it seems. Once I find it how do you change it to another DNS? What
can I read to learn...

> I run about 10 mail lists and all of them broke at 1:30pm PDT on May 31st.
> Given I was working through PacBell and the necessary department doesn't
> do weekends, I finally met AOL's new requirements at 2 pm on Monday.  Mail
> was sporadic for the next three days.  There must be something in their
> filters that needs to clear out.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Bill

	Thanks Bill. Your far more trained in IP things than I. But even
I can see that AOL thinks my email is from a bogus smtp server behind a
router and DSL modem. Most people with DSL modems are using their ISP's
smtp server and that will work.