[svlug] Sendmail/Postfix Problem

Bill Selmeier bills at right-net.com
Sun Aug 10 15:32:33 PDT 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Karl Larsen wrote:

[snipped]

> 	The second has to do with AOL.COM. For some reason their spam
> filters think my messages are spam and destroy them. If you look at the
> whole message I send out it is a little odd. My messages are handled by
> bucket.dog, localhost, and others before it gets out to the Internet.
> This seems to confuse AOL. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Yes, on May 31st 4:30pm EDT, AOL introduced an additional (in their mind)
protection against SPAM.  AOL presumes that any MTA whose reverse DNS
indicates it is on DSL or a cable modem, is not a professional operation
and a likely source of spam.  They should have provided an area code 703
number to call for information.  My guess is that your sendmail is the MTA
of record and the reverse DNS shows something with adsl, dsl, attbi or
other cable related.  The solution is to take control of your reverse DNS
and tie it to a domain at your site.

I run about 10 mail lists and all of them broke at 1:30pm PDT on May 31st.
Given I was working through PacBell and the necessary department doesn't
do weekends, I finally met AOL's new requirements at 2 pm on Monday.  Mail
was sporadic for the next three days.  There must be something in their
filters that needs to clear out.

Hope this helps.

Bill