[svlug] Sendmail/Postfix Problem

David E. Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Sun Aug 10 15:24:43 PDT 2003

> 	I'm forced to use my own Linux as a smtp server since the demon
> I got that works great to pop e-mail from a Hotmail server doesn't

Forced? I *like* it that way. I hate using other people's POP servers; I
want my mail on my own box.

At least at Raw Bandwidth they don't mind. Best.com (prior provider)
used not to mind, but when the new mgmt came around & when they got
bought by verio, they started to mind.

Do you have static IP and/or DSL/Cable? I have DSL with a static IP.

I run postfix here, and have things set up so that I send email to and
from dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com -- and m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com just
happens to be my dsl assignment address. Now, 99% of email comes through
and goes out that way. The rest (spam mostly) comes through tsoft.com
and I can get that via fetchmail (i.e., it's POP). It's a pretty
reliable setup - at least it has been.

I'd avoid hotmail if I were you :).

> 	The first problem is simple. I send a email to a list server and
> I never see it, but others do. I will never see this message on the

One would think that's a configuration issue with the respective mailing
list. Most have an option to deliver your outgoing posts back to you. Is
that option enabled?

> bucket.dog, localhost, and others before it gets out to the Internet.
> This seems to confuse AOL. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Who is your smart host? I guess that is a fair question. Why are you
sending mail through AOL at all if there is another system out there
that can do it? Besides, it seems you've encountered the relay problem -
in other words, AOL doesn't know localhost or other systemw so it won't
relay mail for them. That's curious too, as AOL has always liked spam
:).

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.