Fwd: Re: [svlug] archival file system?

Scott Hess scott at doubleu.com
Wed Aug 6 09:00:42 PDT 2003

I think the more pertinent question is: How do you manage that storage?
With an advanced system, adding new storage _should_ be a simple matter of
adding a disk and using the manager program to add the disk to the volume
set.  And "archival" doesn't have to mean "tape" or "CD", it could mean
"fileserver on the LAN somewhere".  Also, look at Venti
(http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/venti/venti.html), where the idea is
that you never delete anything.

Big disks only solve about a tenth of the problem, and, in fact, are
making the problem worse in some ways...