[svlug] Linux an "upstart"?

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Wed Aug 6 08:55:41 PDT 2003

Ug. Top posting...

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:41:37AM -0600, Karl Larsen said:

> 	Hi Walt, again your comparing the business windows which I know
> has many fewer drivers to Linux. We who are not in business buy the
> windows XT upgrade version and it loads real easy. But you do need to
> reboot about 5 or 6 times. It is far more stable than windows 98 but
> just as far unstable when compared to any version of Linux...:-)

I was responding to your blanket statement: "Windows has always been easy
to load" which is simply not true. Now you are modifying that statment
to say that "windows XT" (sic) is easy. But to compare "consumer
editions", I'll also state that Windows 98 (a consumer version) can also
be a PITA to load - My father-in-law's machine was this
way. It was a compusa box. Compusa no longer supports the thing, and I
had a hell of a time finding drivers.  Even then, the install process
was a royal pain due to some drivers not installing correctly. Windows
does a horrible job of actually telling me what I have for hardware -
there is nothing like "lspci". This is a big issue when you pull the
card and can't find any kind of manufacturer or model number on the
thing.

I'll also state that distro's like RedHat are VERY easy to load. I
actually loaded 7.2 (the last version of RH I happened to have on hand
since I mainly use debian now) on that very same machine. It
autodetected all the hardware (including the funky sound card) and
worked great. One reboot. X worked great, modem, NIC card, everything.
Not only did it install faster, it worked better. I'd be willing to put
money on a bet that says that WinXP wouldn't nativly support that sound
card either.

Now I know you are a Linux proponent, but when you make blanket
statements like the one you did, you are playing right into the MS FUD
machine's hands. YOU Personally may have had a different experience, but
it does not make it universally true. I've been fighting with Windows
since the 2.0 days MANY years ago, as well as Linux since '95. My
experience has always been that Linux was no harder and some cases
easier than windows (up to Win 2K, which is the last version of Windows
that I have personal installation experience with.)