[svlug] Linux an "upstart"?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Aug 6 07:42:21 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 06:50:12AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

> 	Linux has been around for over ten years.

Twelve, to be precise.  Birthday picnic is this Saturday, in fact ;)

  http://www.linuxpicnic.org/

> As a desktop for Joe
> User it is not in the same class with Windows. Windows has a huge number
> of drivers that work with most hardware up to the latest printer and
> scanner.

This is true.  I do admit I personally have had some problems getting
Linux to work with certain hardware (e.g., I bought a printer from
"eLinux.com" years ago; they claimed compatibility with Linux... they said
nothing about how WELL it worked, tho! >:^( )

> 	With Linux you must search for drivers on the web. Loading Linux
> is now much easier than it was. If only Linux is on the machine it's
> easy to set up the hard drive. But Windows has always been easy to load.

I don't have ANY experience installing Windows, but I've heard the opposite
from many places... from other people's personal experience to magazine
reviews.

<snip>
> 	I was happy to find the Open Office Org software installed. Now
> when someone sends me stuff in Micosoft Office format I can convert it
> to ascii and read it with joe. And then answer with joe and convert it
> back to Microsoft Office...:-)

Yep.  OpenOffice.org is a godsend for that.  I've become quite addicted to
it, recently.  I've been whipping out quick flyers with it, when before I'd
make very complex ones in The Gimp.  Of course, with Gimp I'm (1) drawing
a raster image at 150 or 300 dpi (quite large at 8.5"x11"), and (2) don't
have much in the way of layout control.  (Gimp is NOT a word processor or DTP)

-bill!

--
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!